Inquiry Mindset- Chapter 8

We have reached my favourite chapter in Inquiry Mindset- Explore and Research: The Teacher-Librarian as an Inquiry Ally

It has long been my dream to be a teacher-librarian in in September 2017 that dream came true. I have just finished my first year in the Library Learning Commons and have loved every minute. But even before I was a teacher-librarian I had the chance to work with some phenomenal teacher-librarians and that set me up to understand the pivotal role a TL can play in helping classroom teachers introduce and teach from an inquiry stance.

So as I read through this chapter, and re-read, and re-read, and made notes, and more notes.... !!! I started to think about why is that that a TL is an "inquiry ally"? What makes the TL role so central to supporting classroom teachers?

Here's what I came up with and what I aspire to be as a teacher-librarian:

1. Teacher- Librarians read a lot. Teacher- Librarians know their collection. 

Teacher- Librarians read widely and diversely. Teacher- Librarians read deeply and with intention. One of my first goals when moving into the LLC was to get to know the collection well and to be able to support any educator that came in looking for resources. I like being about to suggest further books for their inquiries, to provide a synopsis of a picture book that might spark an inquiry, to highlight a database that will help students uncover the information they need or help an educator stretch on their own learning journey.

2. Teacher-Librarians cultivate a culture of "Yes, and...". Teacher-Librarians are risk-takers.

I recently had the opportunity to hear Lee Martin (@mrmartinEDU) speak about being a Daredevil educator and everything he said made me think of the great teacher-librarians I have worked with in the past. Taking chances, letting students and educators run with their ideas, trusting students and educators to follow their instincts. Reflecting back over my first year in the LLC I realized that I am pretty much willing to try anything that an educator is interested in introducing to their students. I love to try new technologies, to introduce students to different models of thinking and to see the creativity and ingenuity that students apply to their work.

Taking risks and cultivating a culture of "Yes, and..." is integral in helping students learn from an inquiry mindset. As the move through the inquiry pool towards free inquiry it is important to help students understand the risks involved, the possibility of mistakes and setbacks but that as we move forwards with our inquiry skills we will all grows as learners.

3. Teacher-Librarians understand the concept of environment as the "third teacher".

On page 110 of Inquiry Mindset it states "The design of a learning commons impacts how learners use the space. If we want learners to research, collaborate, create, or be mindful, we need to provide them with specific spaces supporting each of these unique activities." For months before moving into the TL role I started moving the furniture around in my head, and moving it, and moving it, and moving it.... LOL. I really wanted to create a space that promoted self-regulation in my students in regards to the using the collection. First, I wanted my students to be able to find the books they were interested in reading and learning from when they visited independently as part of our free flow system. Secondly, I wanted to create pockets of wonder as this was our first year transitioning from a traditional library space to a learning commons model.

This year I focused on better signage for each of the library sections with a wide array of learners in mind. Signs include pictures, book spines are colour-coded or have specialized stickers to help learners find what they need. Each section also has a rotation of inquiry, maker, STEAM, or loose part invitations to spark an inquiry mindset in my students.

I love the descriptions of the metaphors on pages 112-114 for the LLC spaces: 1) The Cave, 2) The Watering Hole, 3) The Campfire, and 4) Life . I will be keeping these in mind as we move forward with new shelving and flexible seating.

4. Teacher-Librarians model an inquiry stance and how to communicate their learning needs.

One of my favourite parts of helping students find solutions to their questions is when I truly don't know the answer and we go on an information finding mission together. Moving through the books, searching for information, using an online database, seeking out the advice of another teacher are all steps I will take with a student to help them on their inquiry journey. The same is true if an educator comes looking for assistance. I think one of the hidden gems of being a teacher-librarian is the opportunity to help educators stretch on their own learning journey.

5. Teacher-Librarians are life-long learners. 

I have so many goals for my second year in the LLC!!! Especially as I re-read Inquiry Mindset and learn from the other educators in the FlipGrid Book Club.

A few of my goals are:

- develop an Inquiry Map for the LLC to intentionally plan for and incorporate a number of initiatives (Global Read Aloud, Hour of Code, Peel Treaties Week, etc)
- introduce FlipGrid to the staff and students to capture evidence of their inquiries and wonderings within the LLC
- integrate more "story time" periods to introduce diverse texts to classes and incorporate a maker opportunity with the reading ---> STORY SPARKS!
-create a Curiosity Jar (page 92) and/or Wonder Wall (page 95) in the LLC
- develop a program for Open Inquiry in the LLC so students can come to explore their own learning passions



No comments

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.