Maintaining Connection: September OneWordx12

 



It's almost back to school. We are now 4 days into September,
We've had three days of professional development here in my school board, plus one more next Tuesday before the students come back to the building. 

Many educators still don't know what grade or subjects they are teaching.
Many educators still don't know which physical classroom they will be in. Many educators don't know if they are going to be teaching virtually. There are so many things still unknown across the province as we head back to school.

I have been very lucky and blessed to learn that I will be remaining in the teacher-librarian role. While the physical space of the library learning commons in closed, I can still deliver books to classrooms. I can still do virtual story time. I can still co-teach using virtual tools. 

I can work to re-invent the teacher-librarian role and find ways to connect with the educators and learners in my building. And I'm hoping with the staff that will be working with students online as well.

My school is approximately 50% face to face and 50% online. This means 18 of our educators were moved from working in the physical building to teaching at the online school in my board.

That's a lot of educators that I won't see in the halls. I won't have a passing moment of connection when we discuss a moment from their class, someone asks a question about student, someone is looking for a book or resource to support their teaching. And when I reflect about the staff that will be in the building we will be so spread out as the classes are being placed in every other room, where possible, to maintain physical distancing in the halls. 

How might we actively work to maintain and 
build connections during this school year?
 
How will we lift each other up and be available to support each other when we are already feeling the stress of unknowns, the pandemic and life as we have known it for the last 6 months.

The world, and education, is starting to open it's eyes to the realities of racism, the harmful legacy of the colonial-settler history that has built our society, the ever-widening gaps in equity, resources and needs across our communities.

As we go back to school this year, I want to actively look at my role as the teacher-librarian and consistently be asking-

How can I work to create deep and meaningful connections with educators, students and their families?




No comments

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.