Mindful and Connected

I really struggled to pick my word for August.

I'd been thinking of it leading up to August 1st by looking through list of words I've made and collected that might fit for different months or that speak to me and what I want to focus on in my life.

But then there was the ANNOUNCEMENT.

The education announcement. 
July 30th.
2020

Oh my, what a year this has been. 

I don't know about other parents and other parent-educators but I have ping-ponged back and forth between decisions about what to do with my young daughters come September countless times.

My sleeping schedule, routine, whatever you want to call it is all messed up.
I either can't fall asleep or I fall asleep fine and then I wake up a few hours later and 
am wide awake for a few hours in the night.

Then there's the unknowns about the library positions. Undoubtedly library spaces will be closed but will we be able to work out a modified book exchange system, internal curbside pickup? 
Will I be re-assigned to a classroom? Can I be re-assigned to a different school?

What about those who work in school libraries that are in contract positions?

Will school libraries become an easy budget line to ignore in the future?

How will children learn to read without books?

The questions! The questions! 

I've been seeing quite a few people on Twitter and other social media posting about focusing on their own self-care and looking for ways to help settle their nerves in the last few weeks. I think this is going to be extra important going into this school year, not only for ourselves as educators but in order to model it for our students to help them cope with the changes and stress this school year is going to bring.

I came across this tweet from Kimiko Shibata-
The attached google doc is full of great resources and links to help educators and those in their sphere find methods to help them self-regulate and be mindful of their emotions and stress.

Jenn Brown (@JennMacBrown) also posted about re-learning how to knit as a way to focus her energy into something that might help her to de-stress.

This all got my thinking about how I can use what remains of the summer break to focus on things that calm me, that remind me to take care of me and the littles in my care, that make me feel productive and happy. 

Conscious. 

My one word for August will be conscious. I want to remain conscious of how I am using my time. 
Am I using to fill my cup and feel good? Am I being mindful of taking care of myself and my body?
Am I aware of how I feel when watching the news, scrolling social media and interacting with others about the future plans of #OntEd?

I have started to keep a food journal and fitness/wellness log to track my daily walks. yoga and workouts. I am trying to cut back on dairy because we really don't get along when I eat too much. 
I am going to take up knitting again (it's been a few years) and attempt to make a square for the COVID 19 Memorial Blanket project
I want to be outside with the girls as much as possible.
Go for more hikes.
Read all the books. 





No comments

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.