Motion. Action. Reaction.

An object in motion tends to stay in motion. 
An object at rest tends to stay at rest.
~Isaac Newton's First Law of Motion.

I picked out my one word for February while I was at the OLA Super Conference a few weeks ago but just haven't made time to blog about it. 
I haven't made time... not because I am inordinately busy but because time seems to be out of sorts these days. 

For my February one word I chose - MOTION. 

I initially thought it would be a great follow up to January's word - RENEW.
After working to renew different habits and create goals, motion felt like a great choice to keep my momentum moving forward. 

Now having been on the picket line for 3 days in the last 2 weeks (I missed Jan 31st as I was at OLASC) and a 4th day looming on Thursday the word motion seems to have taken on an entire new meaning. 

I am a creature of habit and routine. I like schedules. 
I like organizing. I like things in their place. 

The last 3 weeks have been anything but routine.

OLASC always comes at a great point in the school year because it is just about  halfway through.
It's a great opportunity to reflect on the first term and goals that have been achieved (or missed). It's a great time for new learning to be soaked up and there's still time to implement new programs or initiatives back at school.

This year, however, we returned from OLASC and jumped full force into strike days and job action. 

In Peel, we have been striking on Tuesdays and Thursdays which means that our week is very odd. 
Last week we had a PA Day on Friday and this coming Monday is Family Day.

I miss seeing my students in the library. I miss chatting about books. I miss diving into inquiries with classes.

It's all still happening of course but it feels very piecemeal and fractured.

For every action there is an equal opposite reaction.
~Isaac Newton's 3rd Law of Motion

Motion has come to mean something a little different in the past weeks.

Motion means walking for 3 hours with my colleagues on the picket line each day.
Motion means venturing down to the staff room for lunch as all the clubs hosted in the library space are on hold.
Motion means driving my daughters to a different day care every other day depending on if we are in school or on strike.
Motion means checking in on each other. Motion is finding time to do something good for the soul.

Motion is trying to slow your mind at night so you can sleep.
(This one is especially hard for me... after years on battling insomnia during times of stress I still haven't found a solution.)

Motion is talking, sharing, explaining, justifying.

Motion.


No comments

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.