Slice of Life: Losing a Friend (Warning- loss of a pet)

 


I wanted to write this post last week but it turns out I was just too sad and needed some time.  Before you continue reading, you should know that I am going to write about the loss of my darling dog, Kahne. 

Last Tuesday, Jan 18th was the date that we had made an appointment to take Kahne to the vet to be euthanized. He was 15 years old and in a lot of pain. We had noticed a decrease in his eating, he was pacing around the house and yelping often. When we took him to the vet they found a tumour in his mouth/throat and said that they'd give him pain meds for a week or two while we made our decision.


We got Kahne three weeks before our wedding in June of 2007 so he had been with us through all the big moments. Buying our first house. The birth of both our daughters. Buying our second AND third house (it turns out we like to move??). And countless road trips, walks, beach afternoons, and more.

This is the first loss that my daughters have had to process. We told my oldest first and cried it out with her. The night we told my youngest, Monday Jan 17th, they both cried themselves to sleep. It was heartbreaking. They have known him their whole life and he's been a constant for them. The last two years with the pandemic have meant that they got to spend even more time with him.  And in a way it was a blessing for him. At least one of his people have been with him everyday since March 2020... what dog could ask for anything better?

Being kids and trying to process a loss they have turned to creating their own stories about "doggie heaven" and what Kahne is doing there. They are convinced their cousin's dog met him at the entrance and immediately gave him a tour of all the best spots. The two of them worked up a list of all the things Kahne would get to do in heaven- a room full of treats, a room full of smells, a room full of toys. I added that there's probably a wall of windows that the dogs can stick their heads out and it's just like being in the car. That brought us to the idea of a room full of squirrels to chase because Kahne loved to chase and bark at anything that moved. But when we thought on it we decided that being chased by dogs probably wasn't squirrel heaven.... so they decided that the squirrels are holograms being controlled by squirrels (like a video game) because being able to taunt dogs would be a part of squirrel heaven! Listening to them giggle and laugh about all the fun Kahne must be having was just what my heart needed. 

Every day though, someone mentions they miss him. Someone wonders what he's doing. I find myself looking for him or looking at where he'd normally be when I go about my day. I miss the way he'd do a tour of the girls' rooms each night before settling in, like it was his job to ensure they were safe in bed. I miss petting his ears which might have been the softest thing on earth. 

Mostly I just feel the quietness of the hole he's left behind. 






7 comments

  1. Beth, my heart goes out to you. I'm going to admit that I could only read a few sentences of your post today. I saw the puppy and the picture of your baby as an older dog, and my heart won't let me read (I can see all kinds of human destruction and sorrow, but I can't handle the loss of a dog). I have three, and I've lost many along the way. When my father's dogs died after my mother passed, I knew the answer: a dog. And he tells folks he wouldn't take $100K for his dog that my brother and I got him two years ago this Valentine's Day. There is nothing, nothing, nothing like the pure and healing love of a dog, and my heart simply goes out to you in this loss. Maybe I can come back and read later (after work). What a blessing you were to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth,
    First, my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your beautiful, precious fur-baby, Kahn’s. Like Kim, I’m a dog lover and have two old fellows at home, and i worry about the day they will cross over to heaven’s puppy kennel. I love my dogs as much as I’ve loved any human. Maybe theirs is the only unconditional love we ever experience on this blue marble.

    I did read your entire post and found comfort in your children’s memories and the way you mark life’s important events through Kahne’s journey with you. This is a lovely tribute. I hope writing about this loss is cathartic for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending you lots of love. What a lovely post about such a hard thing. I'm glad that you all spent plenty of time with him over the past two years and that the girls have come up with their own way to deal with grief. I hope that you, too, are finding ways to cope - and that writing this was one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Beth! My heart goes out to you. This is so incredibly hard! Thinking about you and your family. Thanks for sharing your memories of Kahne with all of us.

    Aviva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just picked up my 17-year-old cats ashes of the pet that yesterday. It’s so hard to say goodbye to our fur babies. Sorry to hear that you lost your puppy. I miss all the same things you wrote about. My kids are certain that our dog and Grandma met the cat in heaven and now they’re all together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just picked up my 17-year-old cats ashes of the pet that yesterday. It’s so hard to say goodbye to our fur babies. Sorry to hear that you lost your puppy. I miss all the same things you wrote about. My kids are certain that our dog and Grandma met the cat in heaven and now they’re all together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Canadian band, Klaatu recorded a song, All Good Things (Must End), and it's awfully sad. It echoes sentiments and a story similar to what you are feeling. However, all good things don't end. They become memories and stories, such as the beautiful and cheerful ones your daughters and you created. I think as you wrote, that our hearts need to go to the love and joy we get from the living and from our personal and shared memories and stories of those who have passed.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.