Wellness- Time to Set Priorities


This month's word is WELLNESS.

As the end of 2020 approaches and yet we are just starting the school year, it has become clear to me that I need to shake off the pandemic feelings of worry and doom (as much as possible, when it's possible) and focus on me.

A week or so ago I went to bed with a sore throat and woke up with the same sore throat which meant I didn't pass the COVID self-assessment and couldn't go into work. I stayed home for the day and rested.
But I also still answered emails, worked on a choice board for the staff at school for an upcoming event, had a virtual meeting, and, and , and....

Then I slept for 11+ hours that night. 

Like many (ALL) educators out there this year I am burning the candle at both ends. Trying to cram everything in and still always feeling like there's more to do.

There's never enough time.
There will always be more to do.

So I decided that some things needed to change to better center myself, my health and my family.

I am trying to wake up most days around 5:30 to do yoga or another workout.

I am focusing on the amount of water I drink in a day.

I am finding spare moments to move and get my step count up, including walking laps on my morning duty since so few cars come to the Kiss n' Ride this year. Going for laps around the school after long stretches on the computer. Finding the time to take the dog for a longer walk in the morning and evening.

I am locking the social media apps on my phone every evening to focus on being present with my family.

I am spending more time reading books (I know that one seems strange... I already read so much!! But I am actively making sure I read for longer stretches each day.)

I am letting go of other things- like webinars and screen events. There's so much good stuff happening all the time but I constantly feel like I am checking my calendar to remember what comes next, what else I'm supposed to be logging in to see, etc. I need more free time and less programmed time. 

In some ways it's hard to believe that I am already at my 11th word of the year!
Where has the time gone? Will 2020 ever end?

I will say that I have really enjoyed picking a new word each month and highly recommend for others to consider trying it as we head into 2021. 

 

No comments

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.